Why is The University of Utah so popular?

The University of Utah is a public university in Salt Lake City, Utah. Mountains surround the campus and the drive to Park City, one of the best ski resorts in the United States, according to Deseret News, is only a 45-minute drive.
Meghan Whitten

According to The Wall Street Journal, the University of Utah (U of U) is ranked the number one public university in the West. Based on research done by Coral Platt, Lincoln has over ten seniors attending the university next year (See “Where will the class of 2024 be living next year?“). 

So why is this university so popular?

The U of U is part of the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE). According to the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, the WUE is America’s largest regional interstate tuition savings program. 

In select universities in 16 states, WUE participants pay 150 percent (or less) of the enrolling institution’s resident (in-state) tuition, saving an average of  $11,834 each year. 

Senior Madeline Stover is attending the U of U in the fall. She is excited about the programs that the university offers.

“I’m interested in international business,” said Stover. “And [The University of Utah] has a cool French business program offering international internships or internships with a French-speaking company.”

The University is also offering new student housing. According to The University of Utah’s website, “Plans are in motion to increase our offer to 12,000 beds and create a campus city where students can find community and have one-of-a-kind living-learning experiences.” 

Senior Grant Hall is committed to the U of U and is excited about the academic and environmental opportunities. 

“[The University of Utah] caters to a lot of different types of people and the price is right,” said Hall. “Utah is a beautiful state; it is a really good choice for people who are outdoorsy and love nature. There’s great hiking, skiing, climbing, and biking a few minutes outside the campus.”