Pokémon Go invades city, but not Lincoln

Kayla Rae

Pokémon can be found nearly anywhere, even Lincoln’s halls.

Two words to describe summer: Pokémon Go.

For the uninformed: Pokémon Go is an app released in July that quickly attracted players of all ages.

Pokémon Go can be traced back to Pokémon trading cards, which were released in 1998 and soon became popular with children and their friends. The popularity of the trading cards faded but began to make a comeback with the rise of tablets and iPhones.

The objective of the game is to walk around town, app in hand, and catch any and all Pokémon you come across. On the hunt for Pokémon, you may come across a PokéStop, where you earn free stuff.

Things you can collect are PokéBalls and potions, which are used to heal Pokémon. Once you capture a Pokémon, it’s the player’s job to use it in battle it at a Gym. At Gyms, there are king-of-the-hill type matches where teams battle each other. Once you have conquered the Gym, your Pokémon and team will represent it.

This recent development in technology comes as practically all students are coming to school with their smartphones. This will likely lead to administration having to deal with kids roaming the halls playing the game instead of attending class.

“If we find a student in the halls playing the game, the student will be dealt with like normally, with a verbal reminder to get back to class,” said Sean Mailey, Lincoln’s vice principal.

Summer break is over but the popularity of the game remains. Being in the heart of Portland, right on the edge of downtown, Lincoln is in the ideal location to find Pokémon. You can find a Pokémon or PokéStop almost anywhere. Anybody seen looking down at their phones could be a potential player.

The best place to go PokéHunting is downtown. On every block, there’s a Pokéstop to use or a Pokémon to be found, including a stop at our school. There are also Gyms in Goose Hollow, up the street on Salmon and at Providence Park.

Although, since we’re at school for more than seven hours, there is less than an hour of  down time to play — and not get in trouble.

“Surprising, we haven’t really seen anybody play much so far,” said Mailey.

While many would agree the game has peaked in middle of summer, there are plenty of students who will still surely be playing.