Postponed portables: Will they be worth the wait?

Jamie Bikales

Construction on the new portables is set to be complete Sept. 26, nearly a month after school began.

In an attempt to prepare for the influx of students that Lincoln will be receiving this year, the school has begun construction on two new portables.

When complete, the portables will house 32 course sections, seven teachers, and around 900 students every A-B day cycle.

While the original planned completion date was Aug. 23, delays in the city’s permitting process have pushed the estimated completion date to Sept. 26, rendering them useless for the first month of school.

“There’s really no reason to complain,” said social studies teacher George Ten Eyck, who has been moved to the library as a result of the construction delay. “I mean, there is, but it won’t make the construction go quicker.”

Meanwhile, students and teachers will be relocated to the First United Methodist Church on Jefferson Circle and the library. The library will therefore be closed for student use during regular school hours, meaning that students will have to print out the materials they need for the school day during the library’s extended hours, from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Fortunately, when the portables are finished, they will be the nicest that Lincoln has ever seen, according to principal Ms. Chapman. They will be complete with bathrooms, water, and ventilation, all things that previous portables did not include. Hopefully, when they are done, the portables will be worth the wait.