How to perform your best in IB tests

Coral Platt
IB exams will last from April 25 to May 17. To prepare, students should study for shorter periods over a longer duration of time and make sure to stay hydrated as well as get exercise and sleep.

International Baccalaureate (IB) exam season is rapidly approaching, with the first tests taking place on April 25. In each subject, students will take two or three exams that test different parts of their knowledge and skills. Three students who took IB tests in 2023, as well as Lincoln’s IB Coordinator Kim Bliss, offer advice on how to best prepare for IB tests. 

Bliss has been an IB Coordinator for 10 years, six of which were at Lincoln. Bliss also teaches Theory of Knowledge, a required class for juniors and seniors completing the IB Diploma.  

Bliss offers several tips to help make the studying effective for students.

“Shorter study sessions over time actually enable you to review material more effectively,” he said. He also encouraged students to “move between different subjects when studying” and to “quickly review the material that you reviewed the previous time.”

Senior Kennedy Fletcher took the IB Chemistry SL test last year. She went over her study guide and reviewed different units each day. If she didn’t understand a concept, she would watch videos that walked her through each step. 

“Do not cram,” said Fletcher, “and try to make study materials prior to when you need to use them.”

Senior Andrew Hong took IB Chemistry SL and IB Spanish SL exams last year. For the chemistry exam he took practice tests, but for Spanish, he took a different approach.

“I had to read a lot, just to get used to having to read Spanish,” said Hong. “I was also listening to podcasts in Spanish to be able to comprehend the language more.”

Physical health also plays a role in test preparation. Two studies, published in PubMed, found that focus groups who consumed the most water had the most sustained focus. The Center for Disease Control found that getting an adequate amount of sleep (typically 7 to 9 hours per night) boosts concentration and helps students perform better in school. Another study in the International Journal of Exercise Science found that exercise can help improve memory.

Senior Eddie Meier, who took the IB Geography SL and IB Chemistry SL exams, offers tips for during in the exam. 

“Once you’re [in the exam room], especially between a paper one and paper two, you’re going to hear a bunch of people talking about answers,” said Meier. “Try not to let it get to you. At that point, it’s done, and you can’t do anything about it. Just focus on the next paper.”