The Watermelon Game has taken over Lincoln

Toby Platt
Lincoln senior Dylan Schechter plays the Watermelon Game on the sixth floor of Lincoln.

The Watermelon Game has become the new-found obsession at Lincoln High School. It’s a free-to-play game that was launched December, 2021 by Aladdin X. Everyday more and more students are learning about the relatively new game that has completely blown up around the school. 

“Watermelon Game is all about stacking and merging fruit until you reach a watermelon. It’s kind of a mix of ‘Tetris’ and ‘2048’ in that it’s a merge game where one of your fruits reaches the top of the box, then you lose,” said Lincoln senior Sahasra Akkina. 

Akkina started playing the Watermelon Game after she saw someone next to her playing it.

“I was immediately hooked and even showed my little brother who spread the obsession to his third grade classroom. The game is quite simple, so younger people and honestly anyone can enjoy the game,” said Akkina. 

One of the biggest mysteries about the Watermelon Game is that no one knows who the patient zero is.

Senior Dylan Schechter who has played the game for quite some time shared his knowledge, “The game just took over the school with no warning, it originated from one person, however I don’t know who this person is.” 

Whether it’s competing against your friends for a high score, or just playing for fun, there is one objective that has not been reached by anyone at Lincoln: the double watermelon. 

“I have never reached the double watermelon. I think it is possible but you would have to play with a strategy,” said Schechter. 

Akkina has not reached the double watermelon either.

“It is something hanging over my life right now and I just need to get it, and until then there will be a burden hanging over my head,” said Akkina.

Many Lincoln students play the Watermelon Game when they’re bored, causing it to increase in popularity. 

“It has been a great time passer if I’m ever bored,” said Schechter. “I used to play it during every late arrival.” 

Schechter doesn’t see the Watermelon Game going anywhere in the future.

“I think it’s one of those games where it has its peak for a little while and then goes down, but I think it could make a comeback in another school or in the younger generation,” said Schechter.