Lincoln teachers share their passions outside of the classroom

Biology+teacher+Maureen+Kenny+smiles+after+crossing+the+finish+line+at+the+Oregon+Road+Runners+Club+Champoeg+30K+race+on+Saturday%2C+March+2%2C+2024.+History+and+Political+Economy+teacher+Patrick+Magee-Jenks+favorite+item+to+make+out+of+leather+are+these+duffel+bags.+Biology+teacher+Laura+Lisenky+poses+in+Casablanca%2C+Morocco+which+was+one+of+her+favorite+places+to+travel+to.+
Oregon Road Runners Club, Patrick Magee-Jenks, Abdellatif Boukhira
Biology teacher Maureen Kenny smiles after crossing the finish line at the Oregon Road Runners Club Champoeg 30K race on Saturday, March 2, 2024. History and Political Economy teacher Patrick Magee-Jenks favorite item to make out of leather are these duffel bags. Biology teacher Laura Lisenky poses in Casablanca, Morocco which was one of her favorite places to travel to.

From running, leather businesses to axe throwing, our teachers shine. Outside the classroom, teachers at Lincoln work hard on their other passions.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Biology teacher Maureen Kenny started running in high school. Before running, she did gymnastics.

“I loved gymnastics but I was getting too tall, so I started running,” said Kenny. “There were times in my life where things were happening and running got me through.”

Kenny said that in addition to helping her process emotions, running helps her to solve problems or calm her mind.

“It helps me… get through issues that I’m stewing about. Oftentimes when I have a problem I can’t solve, I go for a run, and when I come back I realize that it’s not a problem any more,” said Kenny.

Patrick Magee-Jenks, who teaches History and Political Economy, has a leather goods business called The Masses Co. He finds that working leather is a great way to process thoughts and events.

“I really enjoy the process of going slow and piecing together things, and I’ve found it kind of a meditative way to process my day or my week,” said Magee-Jenks.

In addition to being meditative, Magee-Jenks said he finds it an exciting and welcome challenge.

“I really do like the challenge of trying to figure out a design that I have in my head that I’ve drawn out and then converting that to a three dimensional product,” said Magee Jenks.

Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and IB Biology teacher Laura Lisensky also loves a challenge. In addition to traveling, she competes in an axe throwing league in her free time.

“I started doing it with friends a couple years ago and it’s just so much fun. I think it seems like it should be harder than it is. And it’s very satisfying when that axe goes in,” said Lisensky.

Lisenky also started her own podcast “Travel Along with Laura” a few years ago. She had always wanted to make a travel podcast and finally decided to try it.

“One day I went on a trip, and I brought a little travel recorder with me and just started recording things as I traveled,” said Lisensky. “Then I got home and tried to figure out how to turn that into a podcast.”

You can find Linsenky’s podcast “Travel Along with Laura” on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or wherever else you get your podcasts. Magee-Jenks’ leather goods are available online at www.themasses.co. To stay up to date on his goods, follow @the_masses_co on Instagram.