Track and field season sprints into action

Lulu Lehmann
The new track features a rail on the inside, a requirement for runners to set official records.

Before senior Nathan Davidson and his team ran a winning 3:22 minute 4×400 meter relay at the 2023 Oregon State Track and Field Championships, they were commuting 30 minutes every day to train at Ida B. Wells High School’s field. With the introduction of the new field, the Lincoln track and field team can now train on their home turf, saving time.

In addition to relays, Davidson runs 100, 200 and 400 meter sprints. He highlights how the new Lincoln track makes practices more convenient.

“It makes it a lot easier and accessible to go to practice,” he said.

Sophomore Clara Samek who competes in the long jump, triple jump and high jump agrees. She is excited for the new equipment that she gets to use.

“The [mats] for high jump are really good. The ones [last year] were like giant sponges, which were not easy to practice on,” Samek said.

Lincoln track and field has also welcomed a new wave of athletes. Freshman Lanie Goldsand, who is hoping to run the 100 and 400 meters, along with relays, is excited to join the community.

“I love how welcoming the team has been, even to all the freshmen,” said Goldsand. “I am excited to build relationships with the team and hopefully improve my times.”

Samek finds great value in her teammates as well.

“The team is so friendly, energizing and enthusiastic,” she said.

The athletes are also excited to compete in meets.

“I am excited for state. I think it is going to be really fun in the sense that it is going to be a little challenging. We are really going to have to work for it,” said Davidson.

On May 8 and 9, Lincoln is hosting both varsity and junior-varsity districts on Lincoln’s new field. Show up to watch both the women and men’s teams compete to defend their reigning district champion status.