Fast food desserts: who takes the cake?

Onika Darling
Students have many options when it comes to fast food desserts near Lincoln.

Brownies, shakes, cookies, soft serve, frosties—we tried it all. An array of desserts awaits us as we begin our journey through the fast food chains once again, this time with a desire for something sweet. 

McDonalds (classic soft serve) $3.49 – 1831 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97209 (0.3 miles): 

A classic fudge sundae is hard to mess up, but McDonald’s does just that. Despite a creamy base and warm fudge, the dessert lacks flavor and richness. The chocolate topping has a plastic-like flavor, and the soft serve tastes like nothing. The sundae disappoints and disgraces the McDonald’s franchise.  

Overall Rating: 3/10

Subway (footlong cookie) $5.00 – 2125 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97210 (0.4 miles):

Chocolatey and perfectly sweet, the Footlong Chocolate Chip Cookie brings the flavor of a cookie to the consistency of a cake. Although it confuses the senses, this mega dessert is spongy, soft and wonderfully warm. This cookie is not a challenge you can tackle by yourself, and it is best shared among friends.  

Overall Rating: 8/10

Chick-fil-A (chocolate fudge brownie) $2.39 – 10657 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, Beaverton, OR 97005 (6.3 miles):

This rich fudge brownie is delectable. Its moist interior and powerful chocolate flavor compliment the crispy exterior. The brownie’s perfect size balances out its powerful richness, making it a terrific treat.   

Overall Rating: 7/10

Burgerville (Oregon strawberry shake) $5.19 – 1135 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Portland, OR 97232 (3.4 miles):

Oregon’s summer magic is reborn with the strawberry shake. Similar to fresh strawberry ice cream, its flavor is sweet and fruity. Burgerville makes a solid shake, but it does not compare to their seasonal berry shakes that are made from fresh Oregon berries, giving them a more refreshing flavor.  However, the shake remains a delicious treat, and is worth the drive.   

Overall Rating: 7/10

Shake Shack (maple snickerdoodle shake) $6.69 – 1016 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97209 (0.6 miles):

Capturing the feeling of autumn, the Maple Snickerdoodle Shake accurately replicates the taste of a snickerdoodle cookie. However, it lacks a maple flavor. The sweetness is overpowering, making it hard for us to consume the entire thing in one sitting without feeling sick. The cost and lack of maple flavor cannot be justified, making this shake less enjoyable than Shake Shack’s classic shakes like their creamy chocolate shake that provides a better balance of sweetness and flavor.  

Overall Rating: 6/10

Wendy’s (vanilla/chocolate mix frosty) $2.39 – 1421 NE Grand Ave, Portland, OR 97232 (3.3 miles): 

Devoid of chocolate flavor, Wendy’s frosty tastes artificial. It lacks the richness and sugariness of typical chocolate ice cream, replacing them with a cold, plastic flavor. This frosty will leave you horribly unsatisfied. 

Overall Rating: 4/10

After tasting desserts from six different restaurants, we determined that Burgerville and Chick-fil-a’s desserts are delectable, but shrink in comparison to Subway’s gigantic cookie. The 12-inch treat is delightful, a creative spin on a classic dessert.