Lincoln twins describe their lives

Finnian Scott
The Northrop twins are seniors and one of the 17 pairs of twins at Lincoln.

To me, it seems like there are a lot of twins at Lincoln. But are there? There are 1607 students, with four twins (one twin = one set) in the class of 2027, four in the class of 2026, four in the class of 2025 and five in the class of 2024, along with one set of triplets. This means 2% of Lincoln students are twins.

Fun fact: According to the website statista.com, as of 2021, the U.S. twin birth rate was 31.2 deliveries for every 1000 deliveries. This means a 3.12% twin birth rate. So despite what I thought, there are actually less twins at Lincoln than one might expect looking at the national rate.

Regardless, I have always wondered what it’s like to be a twin, have a sibling my own age, who might even look just like me.

“Honestly, I don’t ever really think about it, cause for my whole life I’ve just existed with a twin,” says junior Ellie Brown, who has a fraternal twin brother, Quinn. “But it’s kind of fun to have a twin because we can just drive together and do stuff. It’s almost like a built-in friend.”

Senior Luke Northrop has an identical twin brother, Isaac.

“[It’s] a lot of sharing,” says Northrop. “I get mistaken for my brother a lot, but I guess it’s something you get used to, you know?”

Both Brown and Northrop say they used to argue more with their twin and now they get along.

“When we were younger, we used to argue a lot, lots of fighting,” says Northrop. “A lot of competition, very competitive with sports, especially basketball.”

Brown has similar experiences.

“When we were little we used to argue a lot, mostly because we were so close in age,” she says. “But once we got a little older, I’d say around eighth grade to freshman year, we started to get a lot closer.”