Fantastic fries: the best Portland has to offer

Onika Darling
Cardinals have many options when it comes to finding delectable fries.

Since their creation in Belgium in the late 1600s, french fries have become a widely loved snack.  Now they are a staple of America’s popular fast food culture. In Portland, many fast food restaurants feature fries on their menus. We can debate which restaurant has the best fries, but there can only be one winner.  

McDonald’s $2.49 (small)  1831 W Burnside St (0.3 miles):

Serving them thin, warm and salty, McDonald’s has great fries. The saltiness may be overwhelming, but is easily tamed with condiments like ketchup. These fries have a soft interior and  a beautifully crispy outside.

Overall rating: 8/10

Taco Bell $2.19 (small)  2079 W Burnside St (0.4 miles):

To our surprise, Taco Bell serves fries, but not just any fries, spicy nacho fries. The soft texture and spicy flavor, that is merely a strange combination of spices, makes this fry less enjoyable than a classic fry. They are filling, but don’t go out of your way.

Overall rating: 6/10

Chick-fil-a: $2.59 (small)  10657 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy (6.3 miles):

Featuring a fun waffle shape and an array of appetizing condiment options, such as their special Chick-fil-a sauce. Chick-fil-a’s fries taste like a freshly harvested potato. These fries have a satisfactory amount of salt, but lack the necessary crispiness for the satisfying crunch of a fry. Also the location is too far for lunch for most students. 

Overall rating: 8/10

Little Big Burger: $4.00 (small) 3074 NW Bond Avenue (2.3 miles):

Little Big Burger disappoints with strangely greasy truffle fries that leave a horrid aftertaste. Instead of  a delicious fry, the restaurant has created piping hot garlic sticks that overwhelm the senses. These fries had a garlic scent that could be smelled from within the bag. A bag that was filled with a ton of scorching hot fries that were made with the emphasis on quantity over quality.  

Overall rating: 3/10 

Shake Shack: $4.99 (regular) 1016 W Burnside St (0.6 miles):

Addictive and crispy, Shake Shack creates a crinkle cut fry. Their slight greasiness adds a unique softness to the fries, which is complimented by a hint of salt. Despite the high price, we think they are worth the money for those times that we have that craving for something greasier and less salty.

Overall rating: 7.5/10 

After trying fries from 5 different restaurants, we conclude that Chick-fil-a and McDonalds have the best fries, with Chick-fil-a giving consumers a creative approach, while McDonalds upholds its status as an American classic. Stay clear of Little Big Burger because these horrid fries will not only burn your hands, but your wallet too.