Price per International Baccalaureate (IB) test increases

Isabella Hartman
The cost per IB test has increased to $99 due to a decrease in state subsidization. Financial aid is available to students.

Students are now required to pay $99 per IB exam, a $5 increase from last year’s fee of $94. Lincoln’s IB Coordinator Kim Bliss says it isn’t the test price that has changed, but the student fee amount in comparison to state coverage, also known as subsidization.

“The price of an IB exam has not changed at all. It’s always been $119. What has changed is that the state of Oregon has subsidized both AP and IB tests to the tune of $25 in years past. So prior to this, it was $94,” said Bliss. “This year, the state of Oregon is subsidizing them at $20 a test. So that’s where you’re seeing the difference in price. The subsidy has reduced, and therefore the price at the ground level has increased to $99.”

Bliss is unsure about why the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) decreased the subsidy. However, he says the change in pricing came suddenly and unexpectedly, causing IB coordinators to change testing information last minute.

IB diploma candidate senior Alex Coltman doesn’t think the subsidization decrease is justifiable.

“My education hasn’t improved, I’m not getting more resources, I’m not getting new books, why am I paying more?” said Coltman.

For families unable to afford the fees, Bliss explains that there are options on the exam registration forms to apply for financial aid.

“I meet with families [and] we work out a payment plan and we just figure out what you can pay and when you can pay and we’re super flexible. I don’t want anybody to feel like the money is going to prevent them from testing,” said Bliss.

Although the reason for a decrease in the ODE’s subsidization for IB testing isn’t clear, Bliss wants students to know they will be supported.

“I hate that [the cost is] even part of what we have to consider, which is why I want kids to feel comfortable asking for help if they need it. PPS will support them, I will support them,” said Bliss.