Lincoln’s tatted teens

The decision to “get inked” is significant, and Lincoln students are no strangers to it. Tattooing has been an art form since 3000 B.C. According to Smithsonian Magazine, ancient Egyptian women were tattooed before giving birth to form a protective shield against possible harm. Today, tattoos are typically seen as a form of self-expression. According to Pew Research Center, over 32% of Americans have at least one tattoo. In Oregon, 18 is the legal age for obtaining a tattoo without parental consent. A minor must obtain a physician’s permission. In interviews with The Cardinal Times, students discussed the significance of their tattoos. 

Senior Lydia Levy obtained her ankle tattoo of the constellation for the star sign Leo while on vacation in Amsterdam. She views her astrological sign as a jumping-off point for self-exploration in identity.

Senior Oscar Felt got their first tattoo of Garfield at Paradise Tattoos in Northeast Portland right after turning 18. For them, Garfield symbolizes that not every day has to be good and what it means to “keep it real.”

Senior Isa Atwood-Collins’ tattoo of one of her drawings may have been a spur-of-the-moment decision, but she does not regret it. In fact, she plans on getting matching tattoos with her best friend of each other’s constellations once they turn 18.

Sophomore Arlo Cushnir was on vacation in Idaho with his father when they decided to get the same tattoo, based on imagery from the song “You Can Close Your Eyes” by James Taylor, because Arlo’s father would sing it to him when he was little.

Senior Madeleine Schuckmann acquired a tattoo of red currants, her best friend’s favorite fruit, while on exchange in Veneto, Italy. She sees herself returning to the same shop next summer after graduating to get another tattoo.

After traveling to Hawaii for the first time, senior Gretchen McKeown and their father were tattooed with a photo of a sunset Gretchen found online. She recalls it felt “like a needle stabbing [me]. It also tickled a little bit.”