Seniors reflect on their most memorable classes taken at Lincoln

May Cole

SV Jimena [left] and Fern Hedford [right] are seniors at Lincoln. As graduation time approaches, they reflect on how the different design classes offered have influenced their time in high school.

As seniors get ready to go beyond high school, they reflect on the classes that have most greatly impacted their time at Lincoln. The graduating students say that their favorite courses have provided them with hands-on experiences and creative freedoms, often being a part of CTE tracks.

Senior Dominic Farinola said the Audio Engineering program led by teacher David Kays has provided him with the resources and guidance needed for his own personal success and individual growth.

“There’s so many softwares we get to use. If you want to learn how to use DAWs [Digital Audio Workstations] or if you want to get into music even, it’s a great class to check out,” said Farinola.
“The whole environment makes it feel like you’re almost in a studio or a recording production center.”

Farinola plans on taking what he’s learned in Audio Engineering at Lincoln into his next four years at the University of Oregon.

Charlie Slayton is a senior and will be attending the Culinary Institute of America next year, a decision influenced by his time in the culinary arts program at Lincoln. He said the culinary arts program taught him essential skills in organization and teamwork, while motivating him to explore the culinary industry.

“Chef is probably the person that inspired me to go to culinary school,” said Slayton. “She’s the person who fed my passion for cooking these past two and a half years.”

Fern Hedford said she really enjoyed her time in the Product Design class, taught by Addy Kessler, because the class has given her the ability to work freely and try a variety of creative processes.

“I’m probably going to go into an independent type of working field, so the key takeaway has just been to trust myself, which has been reinforced by Ms. Kessler because she’s just so good at promoting individual work time and giving us space to do our own thing,” said Hedford.

2-D Design with teacher Hope Ferns is another art pathway at Lincoln that has left a mark on students, like SV Jimena.

“The class is just so free,” said Jimena. “I learned a lot especially when trying to find my own style; I learned to take what I can from bigger artists and apply it to my own art.”

The class that stood out to senior Liam Danahy was robotics taught by teacher Adam McQueen where he was able to take on a leadership role.

“I got to lead a team of first-year students and build a chassis,” said Danahy. “ It was an interesting experience to be able to show people the ropes and teach them how things are supposed to go together with the time we had.”

Danahy plans on entering a field like mechanical engineering in the future and feels that what he has learned in robotics will be a part of that.