IB students and teachers share advice as IB tests approach

Many+students+are+wondering+how+to+prepare+for+upcoming+IB+exams.+

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Many students are wondering how to prepare for upcoming IB exams.

With International Baccalaureate (IB) tests fast approaching, many students are wondering how to prepare. The Cardinal Times asked IB teachers and students for advice. 

“It’s important to make sure that you are intentional about your study plan,” said IB Coordinator and IB Theory of Knowledge teacher Kim Bliss. “Grab some accountability partners, start an IB study group, and space out your studying over the next three weeks. Research shows that repeated shorter study sessions are better than trying to cram it all into a couple of marathon sessions.” 

IB biology teacher Maggie Raczek had similar advice. 

“Study in smaller increments starting right now,” said Raczek. “But also, don’t stress about it too much. You don’t have to have a perfect score to do well on the IB exam.”

Bliss also advised looking at past IB exams. 

“Familiarize yourself with the structure of all of your exams by checking out the examples on the IB section of the Lincoln website,” said Bliss.

Senior Elena Schwartz advised students to study from the textbooks used in IB classes.

“If possible, it’s good to study directly from the textbook,” said Schwartz. “That’s pretty much exactly what’s going to be on the test.”

Although students may be stressed about their results, IB English teacher Emily Hensley offered reassuring words.

“Historically, Lincoln students, at least in the English Department, have done really well on the IB exam. It’s really uncommon for a student not to pass,” said Hensley.

Moreover, Hensley stressed how students have been preparing all year. 

“If students have been engaging in their English classes and doing the work, they’re really ready [for the exam],” said Hensley. “There’s no need for students to start spending a ton of time outside of class doing additional preparation work because the entire course is designed to prepare them.”

Bliss said students should feel proud of their efforts.

“When considering your IB exams broadly, I think it is important to keep them centered in the context of your entire high school experience,” said Bliss. “The fact that you have made it this far and that you have done so while demonstrating resilience, kindness, intelligence, and determination is the real victory.” 

Senior Nora Wu offered words of encouragement to anxious students. 

“Don’t stress out too much,” said Wu. “Think about how much fun you can have after the test is over. You have the day off, and for the rest of the year, your class is going to be a lot more relaxed.”

Ultimately, Bliss emphasized the importance of focusing on overall health. 

“Don’t forget to take care of your physical health,” said Bliss. “Make sure you are getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, and above all being kind to yourself.”