Administrators hope to make the IB program more equitable

+Lincoln+High+School+hopes+to+fully+implement+the+Middle+Years+Program+to+ninth+and+10th+grade+for+the+2024-2025+school+year.%0A

Courtesy of International Baccalaureate Organization

Lincoln High School hopes to fully implement the Middle Years Program to ninth and 10th grade for the 2024-2025 school year.

Lincoln High School plans to implement the International Baccalaureate (IB) learning style to ninth and 10th grade. IB is a global education program that “aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.” These goals appear in the form of a rigorous and well-rounded education. The International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) has three programs: Primary Years Program, Middle Years Program (MYP) and the IB Diploma Program. 

Lincoln has been a Diploma school since 1990, and, according to an update from Principal Peyton Chapman, Lincoln anticipates submitting an application for MYP authorization in October of 2023.

On Jan. 17 and 18, Lincoln’s MYP consultant Susie Van Scoyk will take a tour. According to the same update from Chapman, Van Scoyk will provide Lincoln with recommendations to stay on track for full implementation by the 2024-2025 school year. 

Marisol Kreuzer, Lincoln’s MYP coordinator, is heading the task of becoming an MYP school with the assistance of Steven Pape, one of Lincoln’s vice principals. Pape explained that MYP classes will be very similar to the classes that ninth and 10th graders are already taking, with IB learning styles and rubrics added in. MYP will also introduce a passion project to the ninth and 10th grade curriculum.

“There is an IB rubric that teachers will start giving kids feedback on which will feel very familiar to diploma program kids,” said Pape. 

Skyline and West Sylvan Middle Schools both already have MYP. According to Pape, the introduction of MYP into Lincoln will smooth the transition for students from those schools. The MYP also initiates coordination between Lincoln teachers, so that there are similar ideas being talked about in the different classes of a student’s daily schedule. 

According to Pape, MYP will serve as an on-ramp for students into IB classes, but not as a driver for students to pursue full IB at a higher rate than they already are. He stated that contrary to the belief of many students at Lincoln, MYP is not an attempt to make more IB diploma candidates.

“We recognize that students will access and benefit from IB classes differently,” said Pape.

In addition to easing the transition from West Sylvan and Skyline to Lincoln, another main goal of the MYP at Lincoln is to make the IB program more equitable. Both Kreuzer and Pape hope that by preparing all Lincoln students for IB classes, the MYP will make IB equally accessible for all students.

“Sometimes we’re fond of saying [MYP] is a driver for equity but it might be better to ask the question, can it be a driver for equity?” said Pape.