Community connects at dances

Darby Drozdenko

Lincoln students socialize on the patio during this year’s homecoming dance.

The sophomore, junior and senior classes at Lincoln each have the opportunity to plan a school dance. Sophomore members of their elected class cabinet plan winter formal, juniors plan prom, and seniors plan homecoming. The ticket revenues from each dance contribute to their class budgets.

Students and faculty on the homecoming committee worked to create an atmosphere of excitement, ultimately attracting 935 students. One faculty member was Lisa Klein-Wolf, Lincoln’s activities director and leadership teacher, who appreciated the different spaces available to students.

“What was really cool about homecoming this year is we had access to that outside patio, so kids were still able to go outside,” said Klein-Wolf.

This year’s homecoming was the first since 2019, as COVID-19 restrictions prevented the dance for three years. Freshman Matteo Boucherot felt this hiatus caused Homecoming to feel celebratory.

“I hadn’t been to an actual school dance in a while, and it was more festive than most school dances, ” said Boucherot.

ASB director of activities Bailey Armstrong, who helped to plan Homecoming, believes the purpose of school dances is to build a stronger, tight knit community that will carry the feeling of spirit to future LHS classes.

“We have a very excited upperclassmen and people that are actually wanting to go to all these school events, and that sets the tone for the lowerclassmen that are meeting us at that energy as they come in,” said Armstrong. “That way we are just a more spirited school in general coming out of covid, and I hope that the freshmen, when they are seniors, are passing on that spirit vibe that’s a lot higher than even our freshman were.” 

The next school dance students can expect is winter formal, which will be open to all grades and outside guests. Information can be found through the Trivory app, Lincoln’s Instagram page and Principal Chapman’s emails. The predicted date of Winter Formal is Feb. 11, and organizers are hard at work to make the student body’s experience another unforgettable one.

“I’ve been in education for a really long time,” said  Klein-Wolf, “and I feel so blessed for this opportunity to be the advisor for a group of students as we move from one space to another and we reset and rebuild the spirit, the student engagement and the culture of Lincoln High School.”