Foreign exchange students learn a new culture

Ofelia Barritt

Maria Cowlishaw is a foreign exchange student from Spain this year. Cowlishaw enjoyed the classes at LHS.

Being in a new country comes with both challenges and advantages, a set of new experiences far away from home. Lincoln currently has nine foreign exchange students from all around the world. Living abroad is a way to experience a different culture and way of life, both academically and otherwise.

Academically, high school in America is different from overseas. Both in structure, electives, and academic paths.  Junior Maria Cowlishaw, an exchange student from Spain, has noticed a variety of different class options.

“Here you have so many classes like ceramics [and] art which I didn’t have back [home],” said Cowlishaw.

An exchange student from Italy, Luca Palleroni, agrees.

“You have different classes while there, everybody does the same [thing]; you cannot choose your classes and subjects,” 

Though these new experiences can be positive, studying abroad is not without its hardships. Palleroni says it was challenging to communicate with family and friends back home because of the time difference. 

“The first days- it was a little bit difficult to begin my life here,” Palleroni said. “I was a little bit homesick, you know. And so it was difficult to talk with [my family] and have someone that could help me, but now I’m okay.” 

Despite the rough start, Palleroni would still recommend foreign exchange to people back home. He believes improving your language skills by living in a different place is a positive experience.  

“I would recommend [it] even to people here to see [how Europe is],” says Palleroni. 

Cowlishaw also recommends being a foreign exchange student. 

“I would say go for it because you don’t have anything to lose. You’ll have so many experiences and it’s going to be really good.”