Students colder due to new COVID-19 policy

Sophia Halpern

The open window in the Mass COmmunications room overlooking the pit. Windows in classrooms must be open to increase ventilation because of COVID-19.

In the annoying, but not devastating, area of concern, students are cold.

In classrooms, the windows are open and the fans are on full blast due to new COVID-19 guidelines. Additionally, in some classrooms the heaters don’t work.

The Portland Public Schools (PPS) back-to-school website highlights this year’s COVID-19 policy: “Staff will use operable windows and doors to help increase ventilation as needed.”  

The open windows are proving to be an unpleasant new experience for students this year.

Tess Cupper, a sophomore, says that this is a problem she has been noticing more and more recently.

“It’s really distracting, especially when I sit right next to the window. It is hard for me to stay focused while I am also trying to stay warm,” she said.

Cupper says that she has to wear a really big puffer coat just to stay warm during her classes.

School Business Manager Jill Ross had a similar view on the open windows. 

“Teachers are keeping many windows open, which may give the rooms a colder than normal temperature,” Ross said.

Despite the cold classrooms, staff and students recognize that the open window policy is a necessary COVID-19 precaution. 

“The open windows are part of the protocol to help ensure everyone is safe from COVID-19,” Roger Hastings, Lincoln’s lead custodian, said.

Sophomore Weilai Nathan agreed. 

“Some classrooms get really cold with the windows open, especially when I’m sitting next to the window, but I understand that we need them open because of COVID-19 safety,” she said. 

It seems that the open windows are yet another aspect of life during COVID-19 that students and staff will have to deal with in order to keep everyone safe, even if it feels like the Arctic in our classrooms.