Being happy contributes to being healthy

By: George Spencer

Teenagers are often asked are you happy? But what happiness means is not always clear. The dictionary definition by Google for happy is simple, “feeling or showing pleasure or contentment.” 

According to the Harvard-Health publication website there is a connection between health and happiness. But for many people how to be happy is complex.

Counselor Chris Lacarrubba often talks to students about their feelings.

“The worst thing to do when unhappy is to do nothing,” said Lacarrubba. “Smiling can help you out,” he continued, “but masking your unhappiness is no good.”

Though some might think they need to do something complex to be happy, according to the article the Pursuit of Happiness from Harvard-Health Publication Website even simple things like exercising can do wonders to our happiness. They also say that being connected to others is also an amazing way to be happier because being alone is a mood buster while being together is a mood booster.

Junior Hana Teherani-Ami has several ideas on how to stay happy.

“Relieving stress, and having teachers know that students need a balance between school life and your social life,” said Teherani-Ami about how she stays happy. She also thinks  that we can learn from others.

“Students can embrace the education from their peers and teachers,” says Teherani-Ami.

Teherani-Ami and Lacarrubba shared an opinion on the connection between being happy and academics.

“If you’re happy you’re gonna perform better,” said Lacarrubba. 

“When I’m unhappy,” says Teherani-Ami, “I’m not as focused, but while I’m happy I enjoy what I do.”

A study from Harvard reviewing the lives of 268 Harvard sophomores for nearly 80 years starting from the Great Depression found that happiness and positive relationships have the most powerful influence on health, rather than money or fame.