TriMet unveils its refurbished transit fleet

Jamie Bikales

TriMet Max trains have been rebooted with a reconfigured interior layout, allowing for additional passengers, extra seats and improved air conditioning.

Students who ride public transit may have noticed snazzy new buses and MAX trains on their usual routes.

TriMet’s new buses feature blue vinyl seats that are easier to clean, brighter LED lights and larger windows. In addition, both the new 30-foot buses and new 40-foot buses have a quieter, low-emission engine and better GPS tracking for arrival times. But likely the most important new features to high-schoolers are improved reliability, meaning more on-time arrivals, and air conditioning, said Andrew Longeteig, TriMet communications coordinator.  

While the MAX’s exterior remains similar, inside, the fifth-generation trains have four additional seats and can carry up to 14 more passengers per car. In response to passenger complaints, the trains also feature upgraded air conditioning “based on actual conditions, instead of just blowing cold air all the time during the warmer months,” Longeteig said.

The vehicle changes come as MAX opened its fifth line, the Orange Line to Milwaukie, on Sept. 12. In addition, the Portland Streetcar is now a loop, connecting Lincoln students to the central Eastside.

TriMet has added 249 buses to its fleet since 2012, however, the 22 shorter buses that entered service in March were the first replacements of that size in 20 years. Shorter buses serve areas with narrower streets and hilly terrain, such as lines 18 and 51 near Lincoln. TriMet plans to add another 77 long buses by mid-2016, according to its website.

Each new long bus costs $421,655, and a small bus costs $447,875, according to TriMet.  Both are manufactured by Gillig in Hayward, California.

We (TriMet) appreciate our partnership since 2008 with Lincoln High School… to help students get to and from school every day as well as to after-school jobs or other school activities,” added Longeteig.  

Students can use the TriMet passes on their school ID cards to ride buses and trains for free.