Students direct, stage manage upcoming show

Abigail+Meskimen+%28left%29+and+Fran+Smyth+build+the+set+for+All+in+the+Timing+with+help+from+design+workshop+students.+

Abigail Meskimen (left) and Fran Smyth build the set for “All in the Timing” with help from design workshop students.

When it comes to school productions, the actors on stage usually receive the most recognition. However, it also takes a multitude of students working behind the scenes to put on a show.

The spring drama program, “All in The Timing,” will be a collection of 10 short skits, each directed by one or more students. Senior and Drama Club president Molly McLean will direct “A Singular Kinda Guy.” The 12 other students who are set to direct are Christopher Schuring and Olivia Fouser, Adeline Fecker, Micah Read, Caroline Fenty, Maya Lomanto, Emma Weightman, Emma Nash, Katie Reahl, Clements Park, Harper Wilamoski, and Marjorie Sheiman.

This is McLean’s second time directing a student production. She made her debut with “Sad and Glad” from “Almost Maine” last May. McLean and all the student directors have attended workshops throughout the year to prepare for the upcoming prouctions. Some of the workshops have been presented by Debbie Lamedman, who McLean says helps them “understand some of the fundamentals of directing.”

“The role of director is not only to cast the actors, but to decide the stage movements, spatial relationships, and any physical needs, like props or set pieces,” McLean said.

In addition to the multiple student directors, senior Abigail Meskimen was selected as stage manager. Her role in the production involves overseeing everyone and choosing the directing and technical crew.

“I am very heavily involved in the show,” she said. “I will be around to oversee everything from rehearsals to tech weekends from now until the show closes.” Rehearsals are twice a week through May 1.

The set for the production will be much more simplistic than the previous play, “The Skin of Our Teeth,” which featured with life-size puppets. Seating will also be more intimate, with the audience  on all four sides of the stage, bringing them closer to the actors.

Preparation for the show is on a tight schedule, and everyone involved will have had about five weeks to prepare for opening night on May 7. “The actors, directors, and technical crew will be working nearly non-stop in order to make everything come together in time,” Meskimen said.