Toby Platt: Reporter

Toby Platt joined The Cardinal Times as a reporter for his senior year. Next fall, he will attend the University of Oregon studying human physiology.
Ben Platt

Many students take Intro to Mass Communications class before they join The Cardinal Times staff but for senior Toby Platt, this was not the case. In fact, this is Platt’s first year at Lincoln; he spent his first three years of high school at an online school, Christa McAuliffe Academy of Science and Arts.

Platt joined The Cardinal Times this year because his sister, junior Coral Platt, who will be the editor-in-chief of The Cardinal Times next year, convinced him. 

Platt has had fun on The Cardinal Times taking pictures and making videos, and he encourages other students to explore their creative side.

“It is a really great way to pursue your love of writing,” said Platt. “Ms. Rechner is also just such a great teacher. Even if you don’t like writing you should join because you can take pictures and make videos like I do.”

Outside of The Cardinal Times, Platt enjoys playing ultimate frisbee for the team West Side Rise.

Even though Platt has only been at Lincoln for one year, he has made many friends.

“My favorite thing about Toby is his openness to try anything,” said Platt’s friend Angelo Mercado. 

Next year Platt will attend University of Oregon to study human physiology, with dreams of becoming an orthopedic pediatric surgeon. He has made many memories and friendships that he is going to miss when he leaves Lincoln.

“I’m probably going to miss all of my friends at Lincoln who are not going to the University of Oregon. I’m definitely going to miss  [working on The Cardinal Times]. It’s full of great people and bright students,” said Platt.