Cuffing season has arrived

Isabel Bruce
Tis the season of love. Cuffing season usually lasts through the winter months, and is characterized by an unusual amount of PDA in the hallways. Let cuffing season commence!

The most dreadful (or magical, depending on your circumstances) season of the year has arrived:cuffing season. Cuffing season comes from being “cuffed,” or attached, to someone. During the colder months, when the sun becomes less and less apparent, and it becomes more difficult to be outside, short-term winter flings may become more common.

Senior Maia Sowders is single and has a lot to say regarding this upcoming season.

“I think it’s great. I wish I was involved,” said Sowders.

Cuffing season is the period of time in which the trees shed their leaves, the temperature drops and the masses begin to argue about when it is appropriate to listen to Christmas music.

Tomas Lesay, a senior and Slovakian exchange student, never noticed the phenomenon of cuffing in Slovakia. At Lincoln, he has begun to understand the occurrence.

“I guess it’s an opportunity to meet someone when everyone is desperate to date,” said Lesay.

During this season, many people may find themselves longing for romance. It’s cold, everyone is wearing sweaters, and nothing makes a person feel lonelier than drinking hot chocolate alone watching Gilmore Girls .

Coming into this year’s season of romance, Sowders is both “uncuffed” and unbothered.

“I feel very liberated, not tied down,” said Sowders. “I think that relationships are stupid, especially in high school.”

However adorable cuffing season relationships can be, their survival rates are low. Due to the nature of the start of these relationships, being created out of desperation, many will end before spring.

“Some couples out there are cute but others who got together within the last couple of weeks, your time is short. If you get together after homecoming and before Halloween, you’re doomed,” said Sowders.

Cuffing season can bring a season of joy, but it can also lead to heartbreak in the spring. Protect your heart this winter.