Lincoln Drama Program starts preparing for spring play

+Lincoln+students+practice+for+dance+auditions+for+%E2%80%9CThe+Sound+of+Music.%E2%80%9D+The+production+is+slated+for+late+spring+of+this+year.+

Lia Althouse

Lincoln students practice for dance auditions for “The Sound of Music.” The production is slated for late spring of this year.

Every two years, the Lincoln Drama Program produces a spring musical. Later this year, they will be putting on a production of “The Sound of Music.”

According to the Lincoln High School Drama website, there have been several plays, variety shows and student-directed productions in the past few years, but the last spring musical was “Into the Woods” four years ago in 2018, before current seniors were even at Lincoln. 

Sam Green, a senior at Lincoln, was slated to perform in “Fiddler on the Roof,” which was set to be the musical during the spring of 2020 before its cancellation due to COVID-19.

“Fiddler was an interesting experience,” he said. “By the time [it got canceled], we were already performing full run-throughs every rehearsal. We could have done that show if we wanted to just then and there.” 

Though Green was disappointed about not being able to perform in “Fiddler on the Roof,” he is looking forward to performing in “The Sound of Music.”

“It’s going to be interesting because it’s my first musical,” he said. “The real thing I’ve never experienced is [being] in front of an audience. I’m very excited for that. I think I’m just looking forward to doing a show in-person again.”

He also expressed concern about the impact of COVID-19. 

“I’m worried about how they’re going to keep people safe,” he said. “Outside The Box,” [the Lincoln Drama Program’s 2021-2022 winter production] had masks that were sort of integrated into the plot. I assume we’re still going to have to wear masks for this, and I don’t know how they’re going to integrate that.”

Auditions for “The Sound of Music” started on Feb. 2. Green mentioned that the process was pretty simple, with students performing snippets of self-chosen songs that are usually not over a minute. 

“At West Sylvan, they used to have you audition in front of everybody. That was horrible,” he said. “But at Lincoln, you all wait outside the auditorium, and go in when it’s your turn, and you say your song and you perform.”

Junior Lucy Buckman also pointed out the difference between the auditions for “Fiddler on the Roof,” a play with a heavy focus on dance, and the auditions for “The Sound of Music,” which is a more vocal-focused audition.

“I know the dance auditions for ‘Fiddler’ were much more brutal than the ones for ‘Sound of Music,'” she said. “When [theater teacher and director] Jim Peerenboom said that they wouldn’t be as bad this time around, there was a collective ‘thank God’ from the people who auditioned for ‘Fiddler.'” 

Buckman also mentioned that several of the Von Trapp children, the main characters in the musical, would not be played by Lincoln actors and instead would be played by children to more accurately reflect the characters played. 

“Any of the little Von Trapp kids are basically being played by child actors,” she said. “I don’t know the exact details, but I think the kids from Gretl [age 5] to Louisa [age 13] will be. […] After all, you can’t have juniors playing 6-year-olds.” 

Buckman recommended auditioning for future shows. 

“Do it,” she said. “If you have extra time after school and you think it would be fun, do it. Even if you don’t think you will have time, you can work something out with the Drama Program and find a way to work around it.”

Green agreed. 

“My personal experience in doing theater the first time was something I was incredibly nervous about,” he said. “But it was an incredibly rewarding experience, and it’s sort of become a drive in my life ever since. If you want to try it out, then just go for it.”