Lincoln sophomores adjust to in-person school

Mary Carney

Lincoln sophomores start in person school at Lincoln for the first time.

Lincoln sophomores are in a unique position. The class of 2024 is the first to start their freshman year during a pandemic, meaning their freshman year occurred entirely online, with a hybrid option becoming available only towards the very end of last year. With the return to full-time, in-person school for the 2021-22 school year, the class of 2024 is starting high school as sophomores. 

Sophomore Hazel Thomas said that online school made her high school freshman experience unfulfilling. 

“I didn’t get to experience all the new to high school kind of stuff,” Thomas said. “I didn’t like online school last year because it didn’t feel real.” 

Though Thomas said online school was more flexible compared to school this year, she was excited for the social aspect of full-time, in-person school.

“The transition from online school to in-person school has been really exciting, more socially than academically,” she said. “I think it was kind of easier online for me to work because I could do it on my own time, but the social aspect makes up for it.”

Sophomore Lucas Andersen agreed with Thomas regarding the social aspect of in-person school. 

“I definitely prefer in-person school probably because of the social aspect,” Andersen said. “[During online school,] you couldn’t really talk to friends, [and being] in person I can actually communicate with teachers much more easily and it’s a lot easier to navigate classes.”

Though Thomas said certain COVID regulations implemented this year have made school difficult for her, she thinks that they are necessary. 

“I don’t like not being able to drink water in class because I get so thirsty from talking,” she said. “[But] I agree with [the mask mandate and other COVID regulations] even though I don’t like it because there’s nothing we can really do. They’re letting us do as much as we can while being safe.” 

Andersen agreed, adding that the mandate that prohibits eating inside is a struggle. 

“I think eating outside is kind of tough, but I’m fine. I’m pretty flexible doing stuff like that,” he said. “I’m not too against [the mask mandate and other COVID regulations].” 

Andersen added that the faculty have helped make the transition from online to in-person school as smooth an experience as possible.

“I think the faculty are a little nicer knowing that we’re still in the pandemic and knowing that we endured online school for a year and a half,” he said. “[The transition] was at a decent pace so we can get back into the groove of things.”