PPS to hold meeting on Benson lockout

Jamie Bikales

Police officers stand in front of the Benson doors as Lincoln students arrive. After much criticism, PPS will hold a student-led meeting to discuss how it handled the protesters’ arrival at Benson.

Portland Public Schools will hold a student-led meeting on Sept. 26 to discuss how district officials handled the protest when Lincoln students arrived at Benson during the Sept. 7 walkout.

The response included eight police officers and signs that read “No one in or out,” but, according to PPS, Benson students were free to join the protest.

Student leaders from Lincoln and Benson have questioned this and hope to hear from administrators, especially interim superintendent Bob McKean, who was in charge of the lockout at Benson, according to media reports. They also want to ensure student free-speech rights are fully protected and even promoted in the future.

“We want a process where the district supports protests, understanding that students occasionally need the right to vent when the district gets it wrong,” said senior Michael Ioffe, one of those who suggested the meeting.

It will likely take place at Benson, though details are still being finalized.