Abby Yium: Managing print editor

May 15, 2023

Matt Yum

Senior Abby Yium is attending the University of California San Diego this fall, and is planning to study biology.

Senior Abby Yium has been a part of The Cardinal Times staff since her sophomore year. After taking Mass Communications her freshman year, she joined the newspaper as a reporter. Yium became a news and feature editor her junior year and took on the role of managing print editor for her last year at Lincoln. She has enjoyed gaining new perspectives and uplifting the voices of Lincoln community members.

“I think my favorite part of being a reporter was interviewing people and seeing people’s different perspectives and opinions, and then being able to write up on that …and give them a platform,” Yium said.

Many of the topics Yium has covered as a reporter allow her to highlight voices often underrepresented. 

“I wrote an article last year about the new teen parent center that’s being built. I got to interview a social worker who works with teen parents, and I got the opportunity to interview a teen that used the center at a different school,” Yium said. “Getting to hear her experience, and being able to uplift her voice was really special to me.”

Yium will be attending the University of California San Diego (UCSD) this coming year. After taking IB HL Biology her junior and senior year, Yium is excited to be a part of the school’s biology program. Although she is not planning to work on the school’s newspaper, she hopes to write for the student Biology journal, “The Saltman Quarterly.”

Yium is also looking forward to warmer weather and a more accessible ocean.

“I will always love Portland, but being in the sun and being like ten minutes away from the beach [is exciting]. I really want to learn how to surf,” Yium said.

Senior Eva Novy-Hildesley has known Yium since the beginning of high school. They both participated in cross country during the 2022 fall season and have Theory of Knowledge together this year. Novy-Hildesley emphasized Yium’s genuine and helpful personality.

“What makes Abby such a special person, different from a lot of other people, is the way she’s willing to show up for the people she cares about. If there’s something important in my life I have no question that she’s going to be there to support me,” Novy-Hildesley said. “I’m really excited to see what she does in the next four years in college, and I know she’s got a lot of pretty cool aspirations.”

Although she’s excited for what’s to come, Yium says she will miss many parts of Lincoln—the staff, her classes and the community.

“I will definitely miss Cardinal Times, Ms. Rechner and the entire staff here and the community we’ve built,” Yium said. “I think I will also miss the kind of spirit we have here, especially our class colors competition.”