Departing: Sam Roberson (Social Studies)

June 13, 2021

Courtesy of Sam Roberson

Social studies teacher Sam Roberson is departing from Lincoln after 2 years.

What was your official position at Lincoln?

My official position was a Social Studies teacher, this year I taught Political Econ but last year I also taught Modern World History and Ethnic Studies. I was also a Junior Varsity 2 coach for the Lincoln Boys Soccer team.  

How long did you work at Lincoln?

I technically worked at Lincoln for 2 years, one year as a student teacher and this year as a full faculty member.

Tell me a little bit about what you did on a normal school day.

On a normal school day I would teach my synchronous classes in the mornings, have lunch, then teach my hybrid classes in the afternoon, followed by soccer practice after school. Throw in a few teacher department meetings and some one-on-one student help meetings, and that was my average day.

What was your favorite part about Lincoln?

My favorite part of Lincoln was definitely the students. I enjoyed seeing them, having conversations with them and generally getting to know them better.

What is your favorite memory from all of the years you worked at Lincoln?

I have a lot of good memories from Lincoln, one that sticks out is being able to chat with some students about some sci-fi books we were reading recently. Nothing school related, just common interests that we all shared.

What are your biggest takeaways from working at Lincoln?

My biggest takeaway from Lincoln is: one that there is still a lot I don’t know and want to continue to get better at. And two, the relationships you make with your fellow admins, teachers, students, etc mean a lot to how much you enjoy coming in to work everyday. I had naively assumed before starting grad school that teaching was a much more isolated profession and my experiences at Lincoln has taught me otherwise.

What are your post-Lincoln plans?

I am looking at other Social Studies and coaching opportunities in the Portland area, maybe something closer to home in the Beaverton or Tigard School district.

What will you miss most about Lincoln after you leave?

Mostly just the people. Although I was looking forward to the cool new building that is in Lincoln’s future. That seems to be a unique and rare opportunity to really create a building culture from scratch which is not something you get an opportunity to do everyday.

Is there anything else you would like to add or address or are there any messages you’d like to share with the students or to Lincoln?

Just that I’m thankful for the opportunity to learn for the past two years and I wish everyone the best of luck next year.