Boys gear up for summer basketball

Although the basketball regular season does not begin until the winter, the summer program has already begun. Four teams with Lincoln players will compete through late June, all playing more than 20 games and also compete in weekend tournaments throughout the city.

The teams include a varsity team, junior varsity, along with two freshman teams, due to the number of individuals wanting to play. “It’s a great opportunity to play lots of basketball, and it’s a great experience,” said sophomore varsity player Andrew Plambeck.

During the season, the varsity and junior varsity teams will fly to the University of Kansas for a four-day basketball camp led by Kansas head basketball coach Bill Self. The teams will fly out on June 17. Players are excited for the camp and can’t wait to get to the playing floor. “I’m really excited, and it will be a great experience,” said sophomore junior varsity player Caleb Longley. Players are also determined to prove themselves on the court. “It’s a great opportunity to prove what you are made of,” said Longley.

A coaching change was made at the varsity level where Patrick Adelman took over for Sean Christensen. Although the reasoning for the replacement cannot be revealed, athletic director Jeff Peeler feels confident in what Adelman brings to the table. “I know that he’s a good fit for the job, and he knows how to be successful,” Peeler said. Adelman spent last year coaching for Thurston High School.