Club plans program to help new students adjust

When Montse Mendez arrived at Lincoln as a new student from Ohio last fall, she envisioned a club that would help her get to know her new community.

With the help of history teacher Hanisi Accetta and the leadership class, Mendez created a resource she hopes will make the transition process easier for new students in the future.  “The main idea for [the New Student Club] is to provide these students with all the tools they need to be successful at Lincoln and feel comfortable in their new home,” Mendez said.  The club held its orientation meeting Dec. 16, attracting 28 students from all over the world.

The club’s goal is to make Portland and Lincoln feel like home for new students.  “You feel alone [as a new student],” said freshman Job Nollette, who has moved schools nine times since kindergarten.  Mendez outlined several different approaches the New Student Club plans to utilize to alleviate the stress of the process.  The club intends to provide new students with resources to find activities.  “For example, if a student is really interested in sports, [the club] will provide a list of ways to get involved with sports at Lincoln or in Portland,” Mendez said.  New students can get to know each other at the club, but by getting involved in activities, they can meet people with similar interests, she said.

In addition, the club will connect new students to academic, social/emotional, and/or college support at the school, such as the Peer Mediation program.  “High school is hard but moving can make it so much harder. We want these students to know of ways they can get support in those areas,” Mendez said.

Since many of the students are new to Portland, the final goal of the club will be to introduce students to the culture of the city – downtown, the best restaurants, and places to visit.  Mendez says the club is planning on group trips possibly every other weekend to help new residents get to know their city better.

She already has a list of over 50 students who were new to Lincoln this year, with more coming after winter break.  Origins vary from all over the world to just another Portland high school.  Already, one student told Mendez she was so grateful, because at the club she finally met someone from her country.

“Long story short, I think New Student Club will provide a very friendly and welcoming environment for these students,” Mendez said. “I really look forward to [it].”  The club meets Tuesdays at lunch in room 141.  All students are encouraged to attend.