New Student Club celebrates accomplishments at potluck

Administrators, parents and students involved with the new student club share stories over homemade food in the cafeteria.

The halls of Lincoln are dark and empty on a mildly sunny afternoon.

Nonetheless, a modest group of students, parents and administrators alike gather in the sunlit cafeteria. Small, festive paperweights decorate a few tables. A small buffet of homemade food lines the far end while a projector displays a picture of a dozen smiling faces, with words “New Student Club” written under it.

The food and festive decorations are part of a potluck held April 25 for the club, affectionately referred to as “NSC” by its members.

The event, organized by Martha Higuera, the mother of club president Montse Mendez, was held to commemorate the growth of the group since its inception in December of 2014.

Principal Peyton Chapman and Vice Principal Cherie Kinnersley chatted with parents at one table. Meanwhile, student members of the club discussed future plans and past events over food at another table.

“I think that the New Student Club should be bigger and better every year,” Mendez said. “When we graduate, I want there to be someone to keep it going.”

For now, though, the group is focusing on expanding its reach. Mendez and other members are looking to connect with the Cardinal Mentors, which provides orientations for freshmen every year. They want to establish a second tour only for new students.

“I can imagine how uncomfortable for new students it would be if they’re surrounded by a crowd of freshmen,” said junior member Clemments Jun Yong Park.

Awkward, isolating experiences just like that are what prompted vice-president Genevieve Kolar, who moved from Chicago in 2013 , to join the club.

“Once I actually got to school, I had no way of knowing who was new or connecting with other new students, and it was very difficult,” she said. “It felt like a different world.”

For another member, sophomore Annette Yamanoi, Lincoln was exactly that. Coming from an international school in Japan, life was very different. However, the New Student Club connected her with her first Japanese-speaking friend at Lincoln: freshman Karina Amsden.

This is an important aspect of the club for Mendez: to make Lincoln a world in which new students feel comfortable. She organizes icebreakers, ice-skating dates and even laser tag matches. Overall, though, she just wants to make sure everyone has something they feel connected to.

“We just need to make sure that our students are more involved,” Mendez said.

School administrators are also enthusiastic about the club’s goal. Mendez and Kinnersley discussed new ways to welcome students to the Cardinal flock, instead of the traditional orientation.

Mendez’ first suggestion was a potluck.