Fire drill before school causes alarm

Though a fire drill was scheduled for Jan. 28, it prompted confusion among students when it was held before classes had begun.

What’s worse than screaming “Fire!” in a crowded movie theater? Having a drill for one during finals week, according to some students.

On Tuesday around 8 a.m., the fire alarm went off, startling many students who had no idea what the procedure should be in case class is yet to be in session. “I understand why they would do it,” senior William Leo said. However, he added, “I think it’s very improper to have a fire alarm during finals week.”

Not everyone agreed. “I think it’s probably a good idea,” said English teacher Christopher Smith. “An actual fire drill isn’t going to be constrained to the school bell schedule.”

The drill also raised the question of how the school could assure that all students and staff were evacuated, as attendance was yet to be taken. “The school is split into zones,” explained vice principal Cherie Kinnersley. “An adult is assigned to a zone and goes through to check.”

According to Kinnersley, after the adults are all done checking the zones, including the bathrooms, and the evacuated students and teachers are 50 feet away from the school, designated staff members signal that the students and teachers can be let back into the school.

The impromptu drill also introduced the problem of zero period classes. “I was playing jazz, and I didn’t know about it [the drill],” senior Amy Qiu said. “Then (drama director Jim) Peerenboom knocked on the door and was like ‘there’s a fire alarm.’ We could have died.”

Students coming into the building were equally alarmed. Leo had arrived during the end of the drill, and according to him, was simply herded to the side instead of being led through the standard procedure. Other students were equally confused when they entered or were told about what happened when they arrived after the drill. “It’s unfair,” senior Rory Fontenot said. “The next time there’s a drill, I’m going to be unpracticed and behind the learning curve.”

A fire drill is required once a month at various times to assure maximum preparation for the students, faculty, and administration. According to Kinnersley, a safety board made up of teachers and custodians gather to decide protocol.

The issue of what would happen when students were not in class was brought up, and Kinnersley responded.

“I was going to do it during class yesterday,” Kinnersley admitted. “But I heard a bunch of teachers talking about having finals, so I thought I should do it before school.”