Gay Straight Alliance helps coordinate city-wide event

Senior Ryan Hindlin (right) talks with GSA members about the up-coming city-wide convention set for March 6.

In his second year as the president of the Gay Straight Alliance, senior Ryan Hindlin is taking charge and playing a major role in the planning of a city-wide GSA convention.

The event is scheduled for the Portland Art Museum on March 6 at 5:30 p.m.

Hindlin is passionate about issues of intolerance and ignorance surrounding the homosexual, gay, and transgendered communities. “My hope for GSA is that it helps spread awareness and acceptance both in the straight and queer student bodies,” he said. The meetings are held every Tuesday during lunch, and each week plays host to a new topic. “I like to have a variety of subject matter,” Hindlin said. “It keeps people interested, and I want to make sure that the club doesn’t exclude any issue or minority from our discussions.”

Hindlin plans to carry those goals over to the “Alternative Identities and Expressions” event with the help of fellow senior and GSA member Molly McLean. The two are now part of the committee in charge of planning the convention.

The event is meant to be a place for the Portland GSA clubs to network and meet with each other. “It’s going to be a chance to gain understanding on issues, to share experiences with other GSA leaders and participants, and just act as a safe space for queer youth to hang out,” McLean said.

To get involved, Hindlin was initially approached by the Riverdale High School GSA advisor who offered him the opportunity to be part of the planning committee. Students from Riverdale, Wilson, and Catlin Gabel are all currently involved with the committee. Planning has been a long process; the teens have been coordinating the event since their first meeting in November.

“Many gay or queer kids have not come out yet during high school,” Hindlin said. “We want the event to be a comfortable and friendly environment for those who are still questioning.” Hindlin and McLean will be in charge of running ice-breaker activities and the photo booth. “It’s going to be a lot of fun. There will be activities, food, and representation from various GSAs,” said McLean.