Art sale benefits ceramics program

Ceramics students will be making and selling their pieces to raise money for the ceramics class. The pieces are being sold in front of the auditorium during the three days before winter break at lunch, FLEX, and after school.

Students will be selling glass jewelry pieces, and various small objects that could be used as paper clip or jewelry holders. “I’m really excited to use what I’ve been taught to give back to the ceramics class,” said sophomore Olivia Weissflog, who is in Ceramics 3-4.

This will be the first sale in the last five years, and both previous and current student artwork will be sold for $1-10. Proceeds will go directly to the ceramics class. “Some pieces don’t sell for much because they’re not well made,” ceramics teacher Cynthia Irby said. “But even the poorest made objects can be very beautiful.” For example, she said, visual and performing arts instructor Jim Peerenboom bought tea bowls and planted flowers in them. “So while many of them were poorly made, they look really nice as a whole,” Irby said.

The money they earn will be spent on various items to improve the studio, such as a new kiln, or new wheels. Currently the ceramics class is funded by parent donations, and supplemental fees come from the principal’s funds.