Policing Returns to Campus

Though police officers and monks may appear to be non-intersecting career paths, Lincoln’s new school resource officer Thomas Stoffle stands as a bridge between the two.

Stoffle started at the University of Oregon but transferred to University of Portland to get his undergraduate degree in theology. While at UO, Stoffle was introduced to the Dominican Order because the chairman of the Religious Studies department was a priest. “I was attracted to the religious order because it’s a combination of a contemplative life and an active life,” Stoffle said.

Founded in 1216, the Dominican Order is famed for its intellectual tradition. “I was attracted to the academic side,” Stoffle said. “It has a great history with Thomas Aquinas.”

Stoffle spent four years as a friar but ended up being called to the other type of fatherhood, married, and now has child. To help transition himself from the community living style of the friary, Stoffle got a job at the traditionally Catholic University of Portland as a dorm monitor. “It was a good chance for me to continue helping and guiding others,” he said. Indeed, it was at PU that Stoffle later met his wife.

Stoffle was also able to continue his education, earning a Masters in theology. He was still attracted to the idea of teaching, but he didn’t want to go through another six years of school to get a PhD.

“As a child I always thought being a police officer would be cool,” Stoffle said, fondly reminiscing about watching shows about them on TV. “It seemed like the logical conclusion.” So Stoffle applied, trained, and was hired. “It was a long and grueling experience,” Stoffle recalled. “Physically and psychologically.”

Stoffle was first placed on patrol in Kenton near where he grew up, before becoming Lincoln’s newest SRO. “I’m really impressed,” Stoffle said of Lincoln. “The students are so involved and polite.”

Last year Lincoln’s SRO, Chris Kulp, was only at school part-time, causing some students, teachers, parents, and members of the faculty to be worried, especially after a shooting at Reynolds High School. According to Principal Peyton Chapman, the need for a SRO was prioritized on the budget this year by Superintendent  Carole Smith to ease concerns. “I think that assistant police chief O’Dea and Captain Uehara always wanted an SRO assigned to every high school,” Chapman said..

According to Stoffle, having highly involved parents decreases the chance of having experience interacting with the police, which is why he is so pleased with becoming Lincoln’s SRO after being on patrol.

“[Officer Stoffle] has a strong background in student services, which is why I think he’s such a good fit for Lincoln,” Chapman said. Because Lincoln’s campus is downtown, where there is a large population of homeless people with mental health issues, an SRO is necessary to the students, teachers, and faculty’s safety.”It really sets the right tone for this year,” said Chapman.

Being on patrol  in Kenton contrasted sharply with his current assignment. “It require(d) me to be more forceful and stern,” Stoffle said. “To be honest, it (was) a drag working with non-Lincoln students.”

Stoffle hopes to build relationships with the students, faculty and staff and facilitate a safe and fun learning environment and give people a positive image of the Portland police.