Chess Teams Take State Titles

UPDATE:

Varsity and junior varsity chess teams won championships and individual honors at the annual state competition held Feb. 28 – March 1 at South Umpqua High School.

The varsity team  of Clemen Deng, Andy Trattner, Philip Weiss, Gabe Skoro, and Kian Patel won the 6A state title and placed second overall behind Crescent Valley.

The junior varsity team, comprised of Duane Lee, Dylan Huard, Felix To, Nes Cohen, and Noah Gladen-Kolarsky, won both the 6A and overall titles. Individual overall state champions were Skoro (fourth board) and Patel (fifth board). Trattner (second board) was tops in the 6A schools.

“I really enjoyed the experience of getting to know the players, ” said long-time coach Steve Runion, chemistry teacher.  “They were a lot of fun, they worked well together, and I’m proud of their achievements.”

The chess league ended on Wednesday, Feb. 26 with the annual party. Teams from Grant, Lake Oswego, Wilson, Access Academy, LaSalle, Jesuit, At Large, Cleveland, Clackamas, and Lincoln all gathered in the cafeteria after school for pizza, soda, candy, chess games, and awards. Trophies were given out to individual players as well as teams.

Lincoln took home ten individual awards for freshmen Kian Patel, Gabe Skoro, Noah Gladen-Kolarsky, and Siddarth Suri; sophomores Clemen Deng, Duane Lee, Dylan Huard, Nes Cohen, and Zac Gustadisegni; junior Philip Weiss, and senior Andy Trattner. The team also got five first place trophies. Lincoln 3 won first in Quad #5. Lincoln 2 finished on top in Division B and in Quad #3, and Lincoln 1 finished first in Division A and in Quad #1. All of the trophies were brought to the office to be displayed. “I think the team’s success is amazing,” sophomore Nola Heckman said.