Keira Saavedra: Sports editor

Keira Saavedra, who has been on The Cardinal Times for the last three years, plans to major in psychology at Gonzaga University. courtesy of Keira Saavedra

Senior Keira Saavedra has been a staff member on The Cardinal Times since her sophomore year. After taking the Intro to Mass Communications as a freshman, she joined the paper, and was visual editor her sophomore and junior years.

As a senior, Saavedra took on the role of sports editor. She enjoys shedding light on important issues and gaining new perspectives through her work.

“I really like the ability to pick what you write about and be able to write about things that are interesting to me or things that I think are important to the greater Lincoln community. Also, [I enjoy] having the ability to be creative and explore new topics,” said Saavedra.

Saavedra is known for her Senior Spotlights (Senior Profiles), sports articles and social justice pieces. She is also an active member of the Cross Country and Track and Field teams.

“I’ve been a member of the [Cross Country and Track and Field team] for the last four years and it has been really fun and special,” said Saavedra.

Saavedra is committed to run Division I Cross Country and Track and Field in the fall at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington and will be majoring in psychology. After taking IB Psychology for the last two years, it sparked her interest in further study of the subject in college.

Saavedra is looking forward to her freshman year at Gonzaga, but she will miss her friends and community at Lincoln.

“My favorite memory in high school was winning districts my junior year during track season on the girls and boys side and spraying sparkling water on Franklin’s field,” she said.