Cole Tomlinson: Sports media editor

Sports+media+editor+Cole+Tomlinson+will+attend+San+Diego+State+University+in+the+fall+of+2024+where+he+will+study+economics+and+business.+
Amanda Foster
Sports media editor Cole Tomlinson will attend San Diego State University in the fall of 2024 where he will study economics and business.

Senior Cole Tomlinson has been a student in the Mass Communications program for all four years of high school. He took Intro to Mass Communications his freshman year and joined The Cardinal Times as a sophomore. 

“I saw journalism as a good path for my career; I was interested in potentially majoring in [it in] college, so I thought it would be fun [to take the class],” said Tomlinson.

During his time on the paper, Tomlinson has formed his own family within the class to stay engaged. He’s also encouraged friends to join the paper. 

“This year some of my friends, Oliver [Trummer] and Lukas [Trummer], joined the team and it was a really easy process for them, which I thought was a really good reflection of The Cardinal Times being like a family,” said Tomlinson. “Even in years past the camaraderie and the people that I know in the class have always felt close.”

Throughout his three years on the staff, Tomlinson has written various articles about a variety of topics such as ‘How does a Title IX investigation work’ and ‘Ski and snowboard teams prepare to compete despite unpredictable weather’. 

Some of his favorite pieces have been photojournalism.

“I did a photojournalism project my junior year at the Portland Winter Light Festival. I didn’t even know about it until Ms. Rechner told me about it. [The Portland Winter Light Festival] is all these LED lights in a festival throughout downtown Portland,” said Tomlinson.

Tomlinson’s work in journalism on the high school level will help guide his studies at San Diego State University next fall.

“I’m minoring in journalism at San Diego State University and their newspaper publication is The Daily Aztec.” When I’ve gone down there for trips I’ve taken some of their newspapers and brought them back home to read,” said Tomlinson. “It seems like The Daily Aztec does have the same family vibe as The Cardinal Times, so I’m very excited to get started down there and see where it goes.”