Sitara Soman serves up an impressive first season

Anna Klein
Sitara Soman serves the ball during a tennis match.

This year, the girls varsity tennis team has two freshmen members. Sitara Soman, one of the freshmen on the team, is new to the team, but not to the sport.

Soman has been playing tennis for 11 years, first with a club and now also with Lincoln’s team. Soman says that playing varsity tennis has gone well so far.

“Everyone is super welcoming and friendly,” said Soman. “[We have] a lot of community building and relationships which is cool.”

However, going from a club to playing for a school is a large change. Soman says it can be hard to balance practices, games and social life.

“It is a bit of work because of practice everyday, and I play club tennis so that also adds to the workload,” said Soman. “I have to stay at matches until after 7 p.m. so I have to find time to do homework. It does get a little tiring with school practice, schoolwork and club practice, but I’ve been finding the balance.”

All the work the sport demands has been paying off for the team this season. Soman said they have been extremely successful.

“We’ve won all the matches we have played so far,” said Soman. 

This sentiment was echoed by her doubles partner, junior Kaili Olsson.

Olsson said that it’s been fun to play with Soman. She attributed their success to “keeping a positive attitude, being calm, [and] winning.”

Soman also spoke on her expectations for herself during this first season.

“[I hope to] play well and get as far into state as I can.” said Soman.