Senior Ella Bruun becomes a Stamp Scholar at the University of Oregon

In+February%2C+Senior+Ella+Bruun+was+accepted+as+a+Stamp+Scholar+at+the+University+of+Oregon.+The+program%2C+which+accepts+only+20+students+at+University+of+Oregon+per+year%2C+grants+scholarships+to+high+achieving+students.+
Coral Platt
In February, Senior Ella Bruun was accepted as a Stamp Scholar at the University of Oregon. The program, which accepts only 20 students at University of Oregon per year, grants scholarships to high achieving students.

Next fall, while Lincoln students settle into the routine of the school year, senior Ella Bruun will be embarking on a new journey. While applying for secondary programs, Bruun discovered the Stamp Scholars Program, and after applying, was one of around 20 students accepted as Stamp Scholars at the University of Oregon (UO).

According to Stamp Scholars, the program, which exists at 36 different schools, was founded in 2006 by E. Roe Stamps and offers scholarships up to $360,000 to U.S. and U.K. students who “demonstrate academic merit, strong leadership potential, and exceptional character.”

In addition to her regular college applications, Bruun had to write four additional essays and go through two interviews for the Stamp Scholars Program. Bruun took a unique approach to writing the essays.

“One of the prompts was about an activity you flourish in. I talked about language. I put my own spin and interpreted differently than I think they may have thought for me to interpret it,” she said. “I talked about not so much just boasting my accomplishments, but also acknowledging the troubles and challenges I’ve encountered in the past four years in high school.”

In her essays, Bruun also discussed her internship at the Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) Research Lab, which helped her decide which field she wanted to go into. On March 4, Bruun accepted the offer and is planning to double major in neuroscience and human physiology at the University of Oregon.

Bruun encourages other students to apply for the Stamp Scholars Program, even with the extra essay requirement.

“Don’t doubt yourself when going into the application. Just try and portray yourself in a way that makes you look really unique,” she said. “The four essays can sound sort of scary, but go for it. It can’t hurt.”