Stanley thermoses thrill shoppers

Gwenie Lee
High demand for Stanley thermoses results in empty shelves.

In the age of dramatic, short-lasting media trends and mass overconsumption, it is easy for many to fall victim to splurging on trendy products. The water bottle market has a surplus of innovative bottles; recently Stanley thermoses have captured the internet spotlight.   

The cup that has people camping outside of Target and fighting in stores is called the ‘Quencher H2.0 FlowstateE™ Tumbler’ by Stanley. Introduced to shoppers in 2016, the Quencher features a large handle and straw-lid. It was released in multiple colors and sizes, with a variety of lid types. 

Compared to other bottle brands such as Owala ($33 to $38) and Hydroflask ($25 to $45), the Quenchers’ price is high. They range from $35 to $50, depending on the cup size. The Quenchers are created by the Stanley company, but can be bought from various stores like Amazon and Target. 

After multiple positive reviews were posted about the Quencher, more shoppers turned toward buying one. The company took note of the uptick in cup sales, and began advertising them through social media sponsorships and online ads. Since then, the bottle has blown up, with #StanleyTumbler reaching over 700 million views on TikTok. 

Sophomore Zienna Black has noticed the online presence of Stanley, and believes it contributes to their massive success.  

“[Stanley] is all over, and their ads are all over the place. Everybody has the [Stanley] water bottles to be aesthetic,” said Black. 

Black is fond of her Stanley tumbler. 

“I love that the bottle is big, and I’ve definitely been drinking more water. It keeps all of my [drinks] very cold for a long time,” said Black. 

Sophomore Maya Hodges also likes Stanley. 

“Before, I had to drink gross school water, and now have [the tumbler], and I drink three of them a day,” said Hodges. “I like that when I fill it up with ice the night before, the ice is still cold in the morning.”

The bottle’s price point has been a debate among consumers. 

“I think they could be a little bit cheaper, but compared to other bottles and how good they are, it’s reasonable,” said Hodges. 

Although they are a great quality thermos, they are also one of many social media trends. 

“Having a Stanley is kind of a trend right now, and I hope it doesn’t get weird to have one in the future. I will probably still use mine, but in social media it’s just the ‘cool’ thing to have,” said Hodges.