Natural Hair and Extensions creates a welcoming space to get various hairstyles done

Natural+Hair+and+Extensions+provides+services+such+as+haircuts%2C+hair+extensions%2C+and+braids.+
Tisha Stigler
Natural Hair and Extensions provides services such as haircuts, hair extensions, and braids.

Tisha Stigler, also known on instagram as @tisha_aspirations, started doing hair at the age of six, and by the time she was 11, was regularly styling hair for her friends and family. Stigler took a break from her passion when she went to college, followed by a 22-year-long career working in a financial institution.

When Stigler’s mother developed cancer and lost her hair, Stigler started to create hair products.

“There’s nothing like seeing your mom devastated from losing her hair,” said Stigler. “I went to the kitchen and started working on different ingredients to help her hair grow back and I found some.”

Fueled by support from her family and friends, Stigler was able to fully invest in developing her own products and eventually started her own salon by the name of Natural Hair and Extensions, becoming the first Black-owned commercial property with a beauty supply in the Pearl District.

Stigler feels as though being a hairstylist is her calling in life.

“I really enjoy my clients, for me doing hair is very therapeutic, it’s relaxing,” said Stigler.

She takes pride in the welcoming atmosphere of her salon.

“A lot of people tell us we’re a safe space, they can talk about anything and everybody feels comfortable,” said Stigler. “I was born and raised in Portland, but I have that Southern hospitality from my mom because she’s from the South.”

Stigler is skilled in all hair types, working with a wide variety of clients, some of whom go to Lincoln.

Zahara Hindlin, Lincoln sophomore, is a regular Natural Hair and Extensions client and works at the salon every Saturday. Hindlin loves the environment that is created at the salon.

“I feel like there’s not a lot of salons that are 100% Black-owned that have their own big space with a barber and multiple braiders,” said Hindlin. “It’s cool to see an actual salon that’s Black-owned and all the staff is Black.”

Hindlin feels they have a strong bond with Stigler.

“She’s like a mentor to me, another mother in a way,” said Hindlin.

Many of Stigler’s clients include local celebrities and athletes, for example Evan Turner, Jerami Grant and Jabari Walker.

“In my salon you would see all of their jerseys hanging around with their signed signatures,” said Stigler.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Stigler advocated to legislators to ensure that hairstylists received funding while their businesses were closed.

“I was on conference calls with the legislation, asking those very hard questions because they were basically indicating that we were not considered in the class of anything as hairstylists,” said Stigler.

Post-pandemic, Stigler’s business recovered quickly due to the loyalty of her clients.

“My clients were wonderful. They followed me, they waited for me,” said Stigler.

In January, right before Natural Hair and Extensions would celebrate their 10th anniversary, they faced another challenge when their pipes broke, causing the salon to flood.

“I was going to celebrate 10 years on the day of the catastrophe. Jan. 13, when we had the ice age, I had to cancel my anniversary,” said Stigler.

Because of this, Stigler is currently providing hair services in a salon called I Am Image in Slabtown. She will move back to her salon in the Pearl District in two to six months, and will celebrate her anniversary later in the year.

“I’m going to [celebrate] in August,” said Stigler.

Upon the reopening of her original location, Stigler will provide services at 634 NW 12th Ave.