Girls basketball: How is it looking this season?

Sarah Quist
The girls varsity basketball team poses in uniform.

It’s a new year, and a new season for the girls varsity basketball team with new heights to reach. There are new faces on varsity due to four seniors graduating and one exchange student leaving. 

While many of the new members of varsity played JV, they are new to the challenges of varsity. 

This year’s players shared their expectations for the season, what they look forward to improving on and debriefed on the preseason.

Senior Matti Homsi said that they’ve been playing teams outside of the Portland Interscholastic League and that their matchups have been difficult.

“We’re playing a lot of good teams in the upcoming games,” said Homsi. “We’ve had two games so far, we won the first one [against Churchill] and lost the second [against Southridge].”

Despite the upcoming difficult matchups, the team has been trying to prepare for a successful season.

“We just want to work really hard, and win as many games as we can,” said Homsi. 

Junior Yetta Lorimor, a captain on the team, is optimistic about the rest of the year.

“So far it’s pretty good, we haven’t had a lot of games yet,” said Lorimor. “It’s a different dynamic, we have a lot of new players. But I feel like it’s a good rebuilding year.” 

Senior Ella Greene echoed Lorimor’s sentiment about the new dynamic.

“We do have a lot of seniors, but a lot of them are new to varsity, and we have three freshmen who are swinging on JV and varsity, [playing for both teams],” said Greene, “[There are] thirteen, and that includes the four swingers on the team.”

Greene has high hopes for the rest of the season, including the playoffs.

“I think it’s going to be like the past few years,” Greene said. “We’re going to be right on the verge of playoffs if we win the games we need to and should win, we have a couple tough ones with Grant. We need to win those ones, and hopefully then we make it into the playoffs.”