Lincoln students celebrate diverse holiday traditions

Zahara Hindlin
Zahara Hindlin and her family pose by the 20-foot Santa in their yard that is blown up annually.

Every year during the months of November, December and January, Lincoln students celebrate a diverse collection of holidays, practice numerous traditions and cook various types of holiday food. 

Sophomore Rowan Duff-Rollins spends the holiday season baking “Christmas pudding,” as part of celebrating his Scottish ancestry. 

“It’s kind of like a fruit cake soaked in alcohol and then lit on fire so it burns the alcohol off,” says Duff-Rollins.

Sophomores Sofia Andersen and Kaila Amador cook traditional Latin American cuisine during Christmas time. Andersen bakes brigadeiros, a Brazilian treat made of butter, sweetened condensed milk and cocoa powder rolled into balls, while Amador makes a variety of family recipes.

“My mom’s side of my family makes multiple crinkles, a family recipe from my great-great grandma every Thanksgiving and Christmas,” says Amador. “On my father’s side of my family, we make pollo (chicken) and cerdo (pork) tamales, and we also make conchas on Christmas, [which is] a sweet Mexican bread.”

Senior Sahasra Akkina celebrates two sides of her culture. Along with Christmas, Akkina celebrates Diwali, a Hindu festival of lights, while eating a multitude of Indian dishes.

“Fireworks are really fun when we’re celebrating with friends. Butter paneer, paneer tikka masala, pulihora and biryani are always great,” says Akkina.

Sophomore Ethan Chang and his family participate in a Korean tradition called Sebae.

“Sebae is where children and teens give respect to their parents and grandparents during the new year. The parents and grandparents give them money in return to hope you have a good new year.”

Also to ensure a successful upcoming year, sophomore Lukasz Erickson eats a Polish salad, consisting of eggs, potato, apple, carrots, mayo, salt and pepper.

“It contains everything you need to live a healthy, prosperous lifestyle. So in Poland, it is seen that living this way will bring you luck,” says Erickson.

From Congolese pondu to British trifle, and white elephant parties to lighting candles on the menorah, student’s diverse traditions and food add to Lincoln culture and the overall holiday spirit.