Flock flies into fall

Charlie Hildick Klein
Student section tosses beach ball at homecoming game against Roosevelt.

Lincoln is full of fall traditions that truly exhibit Cardinal spirit. Between September and November, the school buzzes with energy from students and staff, preparing to participate in activities like Spirit Week, Homecoming and Popcycles.

According to the book, 150 Years of Lincoln High School, many fall traditions have been practiced at Lincoln for a long time, such as PopCycles which has been going on since 1948. 

“Popcycles is our feature for the performing arts and talent show and it’s actually been going on here at Lincoln for 76 years,” said choir director Lisa Riffel. “Popcycles is run by the three performing arts teachers. So that would be our drama director Tracie Talerico, our band director David Kays and myself, the choir director.”

Popcycles took place on October 28 and 29 and showcased the many talents here at Lincoln. 

This is a tradition to look forward to, but many fall traditions happen earlier in the year.

“I guess [I was excited for] homecoming and the football game,” says senior Ella Hutchinson, “I haven’t been to that many school dances because of covid. Half of my years I didn’t have any school dances so this would only be my second homecoming ever, so I’m excited for that.”

Many seniors missed Lincoln traditions because of the pandemic and being stuck at home. Hutchinson said she plans to attend most, if not all of the fall traditions that Lincoln has to offer. 

“I think it’s a good way to have school spirit and to just feel like you belong in the community and make cool memories,” said Hutchinson.