The comeback of Lincoln football

Gwenie Lee
With new additions to the program, the Lincoln football team is feeling excited for the present and future seasons.

The Lincoln football program reports being energized by a new coach and an influx of freshmen. 

Captain of the team, senior Parker Barnett, says that new head coach Cody Schnaufer’s work has united the team and strengthened their bond.

“We’re just more of a team. Last year, there […] wasn’t a lot of respect, for our own teammates and for our own coaches really,” Barnett said. “We were kind of just going out and playing, not for each other, just playing. And this year, it’s more like we’re all brothers.”

Schnaufer says his goals for the team includes focusing on team growth and mentality.

“Our goal is to, at the end of practice, ask ourselves ‘Are we better today than we were yesterday? How do we get better tomorrow than we were today?’’ Schnaufer said. “What we focus on are three things. We focus on not being outworked, not being outhustled and being perfect at the little things, because details matter.”

Schnaufer said that growing as a team is important, although it can be a long process. “I think we are learning how to be successful. I think [the players are] doing a good job of learning to put we before me,” said Schnaufer. 

Barnett has high hopes for the future of Lincoln football, and believes that the next generation of Cardinals will bring the program even more success. 

“We have a bunch of lowerclassmen who are really good, and our JV team is undefeated, so I’m excited to see how they’re doing when they’re juniors and seniors. All of us love the sport, and we’re trying to get more people out there,” said Barnett. 

Both Schnaufer and Barnett agree that support from the school is key in ensuring a positive program. Although this is his first season coaching at Lincoln, Schnaufer said that the Cardinal spirit has had an impact. 

“As a new coach here, I think the support from everybody in the school community has been fantastic,” said Schnaufer. “In my 16 years of coaching, I have never seen a teaching staff or really a whole school as supportive of student athletes as they are here.”