Kate Haddon: Managing print editor

May 15, 2023

courtesy of Kate Haddon

Managing print editor Kate Haddon is graduating this year, and will be attending Pitzer College to study medicine.

Senior Kate Haddon has been in the Mass Communications program for four years, starting with Mass Communications her freshman year, then joining the paper her sophomore year. She has held the role of sports editor, news and features editor and managing print editor. 

Originally, Haddon wanted to be on the yearbook staff.

“I forecasted for yearbook, but I was put into Mass Communications because that’s what everyone has to take. I was outraged,” she recalls, “I spent the beginning of my freshman year just trying to switch out. But then I realized I didn’t want to do yearbook at all.”

After learning more about The Cardinal Times and the community, she decided that what she really wanted to do was write for the paper.

“It was one of the better decisions that [I made],” said Haddon.

Haddon has worked on a wide variety of projects, from her tribal history series to the short lived School Desk Concerts.

“There are really talented musicians in our community, and getting to talk to them and listen to the music they make is really cool,” said Haddon. “[I also loved] my series on tribal history… [it] was one of the series that I felt really impacted the community and gave people a platform.”

After high school, she plans to attend Pitzer College in California and stay involved in journalism.

“I am going pre med. I want to be an orthopedic surgeon with a focus on sports medicine,” said Haddon. “I definitely want to be involved with the news on campus next year, whether that’s as a journalist or as a consumer, I know [journalism] will stick with me.”

She looks back on her time on The Cardinal Times positively.

“Some of my best friends are in this class,” she said. “I just think it’s really special to share the passion [for writing] with other students.”

Before she graduates, she would like to leave some advice.

“One of my favorite things to say to my friends when they’re having a hard time is you can be the ripest peach in the world, but some people just don’t like peaches,” said Haddon. “It’s important to remember that you can be amazing in so many ways, and some people just won’t jive with it. So go where you want, do things that will make you happy, because at the end of the day, this is your life.”

Finally, Haddon has some things she’d like to confess.

“I used to leave sticky notes on the inside cover of library books with notes to the next reader… things about the book or ‘have a nice day,’” she said.

She does not recommend looking for these notes, but maybe in the future a lucky reader may find them.