Jacob Hockett – PE

September 30, 2021

Jacob+Hockett+is+a+new+P.E+and+health+teacher+this+year.+He%E2%80%99s+making+an+impact+this+year+on+his+students+by+prioritizing+mental+health.+

Camilla Correani

Jacob Hockett is a new P.E and health teacher this year. He’s making an impact this year on his students by prioritizing mental health.

For Jacob Hockett, health is life.

Hockett was hired this year to serve as one of Lincoln’s new P.E. and health teachers. He previously worked as a teacher at Ida B. Wells for around eight years, but is excited to get started at Lincoln. 

“I get to teach young kids about things that they’re going through now [and] things that will happen in the future. I get to be the teacher that prepares them for the real world,” he said. 

Hockett’s role models growing up guided him to become the person he is today. 

“I was very fortunate to have very good male coaches in my life. Those names, their conversations and what they did for us for four years, I’ll remember for the rest of my life,” he said.

Hockett has made a great first impression on the students. Sophomore Natalie Grewe, who is in Hockett’s health class, was happy to find out that he is an understanding teacher and willing to support his students the best he can. 

“He’s pretty open about stuff, so I’ll be able to talk to him if I need help,” she said. “I feel like this class is going to be one of the least stressful ones I’m going to have.”

A concern that students have this year is whether or not their mental health will be taken seriously. 

“I’m looking forward to learning how to manage my mental health, especially entering this school year,” Grewe said. “We’re going to have new types of stress which will need new ways to cope. ”

When classes are an hour and a half long, many students find it helpful to take small breaks. Hockett respects that and offers his students time to unwind during class. 

“We’ll go for walks outside [and] he’ll give us a few minutes to chat with our neighbor or go on our phones, which can be a nice mental break from writing,” Grewe said.

Hockett is enthusiastic about teaching and being welcomed into Lincoln. He’s excited to teach about a topic he’s passionate about and start inspiring students at Lincoln. 

“I’m super excited to be here,” he said. “I’m definitely looking forward to establishing myself in the community, being a part of the community and giving my time.”