Kayleigh Rose – Mathematics

September 30, 2021

Keira Saavedra

Kayleigh Rose is the new math teacher here at Lincoln. This year she hopes to see her students gain new knowledge and skills

Kayleigh Rose spent her whole life living in Brooklyn, N.Y. After deciding that she wanted to be closer to nature while still living in a city, Rose found that Portland was the perfect fit. 

After finding Lincoln online while researching teaching jobs in Portland, she was immediately drawn by the welcoming atmosphere. At Lincoln, Rose– who has 13 years of previous math experience– will teach geometry and probability and statistics. 

“I was really impressed by how welcoming the website was and how engaged the students and teachers seemed to be. Just general success was impressive,” Rose said. “I had the opportunity to talk to some teachers when I was applying and saw how happy they were working with the students, so it made me want to come teach here.”

Rose is excited to be back in the classroom this year. She says she is committed to her students and being part of the Lincoln and Portland community. Now that school is back in-person, her hopes are to get to know her students in class, and also to see her students outside of the building at other events. 

Students enjoy having Rose as their math teacher.

“She has been a really helpful teacher who seems like she is actually interested in the subject and wants to be here,” freshman Nidha Eakambaram said. 

Rose hopes students taking her class build a new range of knowledge, experiences and skills to use in the future.

“I hope students leave [my class] open to trying out new things in terms of math, taking risks and being willing to ask questions,” she said.

Outside of school, Rose loves to spend her time exploring Portland and all of the wonderful hiking trails that are available nearby. She especially enjoys hiking and camping on Mt. Hood.

“I am happy to be here as a new member of the community,” she said. “I welcome [Lincoln students’] thoughts and opinions about things to enjoy in Portland.”