The Inside Scoop on Why Students Continue to Neglect the No-Headphones Rule

By Hanna Grewe 

“Absolutely not.” This was the answer both Megan Blodgett, freshman at Lincoln High School, and Stan Caples, one of Lincoln’s campus monitors, gave when asked whether they thought Lincoln students were still following the no-headphones-in-the-hallways rule. 

According to a February 17, 2016 article titled “Strict Use on Headphones Implemented” in The Cardinal Times, the no headphones rule was enforced around 2016. Even though the rule has been implemented for years, it has been continuously ignored and misunderstood by students due to the fact that many aren’t aware why this rule is being put into enforcement. 

“It is imperative that [students] understand that when they have their earbuds in and music on, and unsafe acts take place in the school that requires staff to call out to them, it could be catastrophic” said campus monitor Stan Caples. 

Although faculty like Caples believe that a rule like this is crucial for the safety of students, many choose not to comply based on conflicting ideas about the necessity of the rule. 

“I think that [the rule is] a little bit stupid,” Blodgett explains, “We should be able to listen to music and get into our own headspace between classes and the hallways so we can get motivated and calm before our next class.”

While many students choose to not comply with the rules,  Caples argues that it’s a direct result from the students not being educated enough on the reasons behind not having headphones in the halls.

“I don’t think [students are educated enough but] I think they’re educated to a point,” Caples argues. “All they understand is safety.” 

Blodgett is someone who has no idea why this rule is put in place. This has been argued as one of the problems when it comes to why students choose not to agree with the regulations.

“I don’t know why [the rule] is being implemented. I just know it’s a rule,” Blodgett said. 

Students have also been increasingly more sneaky when hiding their use of earbuds. Underclassmen, like Blodgett, have also been following in the steps of upperclassmen.

“Once you pass the security guard, you just put [the earbuds] right back in.” Blodgett exclaims.  

On the contrary, those who are fully educated on the reasons behind the rule, like Caples, feel there’s no doubt that students should be complying with the rule. 

“[The rule] is great!” Caples exclaims. “Much needed for the safety of all students.”

Caples understands why students choose not to comply with the rule, and overall sees it as a lack of communication between Lincoln High School staff and students. 

“They [just] don’t understand the severity,” said Caples.